So I was lurking Reddit just this afternoon like the true procrastinator that I am, and I stumbled upon one of my classic thread favorites (yep, you know which one).
Since we’re not all savvy kids here, I’ve decided to whip up a list so you don’t have to go through every single comment. (Although, you still could. It’s so entertaining time will fly by, surely!)
I’ll definitely be missing something, though, so be sure to hit me up with your faves and spread the love that is free thingamajigs!
I don’t know about you, but I’m always almost running out of space – whether it be on my laptop or phone. Fret not, however, because gone are the days wherein you’re required to pay extra for some of that cloud lovin’.
Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and a whole lot more! These services offer storage for free from 2 GB to as big as 15. Bonus points if you have their apps, or use certain products that give you even more free space. Access your files anywhere, any time with the help of these bad boys.
PRO TIP: If you’re confused with the plethora of options, here’s a great comparison grid that does all the work for you.
Who says you have to pay tuition and be eaten alive by student debt to climb the ropes of life? Uh, nobody! Be educated and learn from the best of the best with online class courses from the likes of Harvard, Stanford and Yale in the comfort of your couch.
You can roam the virtual campuses of Coursera and Class Central to begin with and venture from there. Anything and everything you could ever think of, you can find in these classes. Some even offer credit toward a degree – like, man, that’s sick! Invest in yourself without having to invest dollars. Now that’s a sure win.
Adulting’s never been this fun and easy.
You guys, I have dreamed of becoming multilingual my whole life. While I can always spend time regretting how I ditched the German and French lessons my parents set up for me growing up, I can use it more efficiently by mastering the art via Duolingo. They blew off hundreds of dollars for lessons I stopped attending after how many sessions, but you can avail of a similar service for zero cha-ching, darling.
They even have fun, colorful graphics to assist you in the process. Be a master speaker in no time and travel in style. The cultural authenticity is reeeeeeeal!
If you’re more of a visual learner, then Documentary Heaven is the place for you. Not only is it home to an endless stream of reality at the click of your thumb, it’s also very much available to you 24/7 without asking for your credit card information! (I love Netflix but let’s face it, those subscription payments can get you a car by the end of the decade if you don’t watch it.)
And honestly. They. Have. It. All. From the conspiracy theories giving you the creeps at night to the professional reviews of debates concerning the impending presidential elections of the United States. Yep, I’m calling it, this is some quality food for the brain.
As a writer, Microsoft Word is my holy grail – Mac, Windows, doesn’t matter, the MS Office Suite is it for me. But again, why pay for something you can get for free? OpenOffice functions just as well as our trusty Microsoft, so why the heck not?! Also, for those who can’t shell out $20 a month for Adobe Photoshop (because who has that amount of money, really?), Gimp works wonders, you wouldn’t believe!
Open sourcing is where it’s at these days, especially to those trying to save up. Speaking of which, Mint is a beast of an application allowing you to manage all your budget lists, credit checks, and even pay bills. Uh, wow-za!
- Disposable Email: for all the accounts you don’t plan on opening after the one-time registration thing
- Electronic Butler: for all the things you just don’t have the time in the world to do
- Used Free Shizz: for all the fully functional stuff other people is willing to give away (proceed with caution!)
- E-Books Galore: for all the reading you have to get done and over with
- Shopping Coupons: for all the adulting you have on your agenda
- Micro Lectures: for all the studying you don’t want to do but have to
- Free Chocolates: for all the stress eating you should totally be doing
- Audio Books: for all the reading you’ve been putting off
- Math Solver: for all the Math you couldn’t afford to do
- Listening Ear: for all the feelings you need letting out
- Soothing Sounds: for all the calm you need in your life
- Font Mafia: for all the typing you need the energy to do
- Rice to Feed: for all the help you should be lending others