Are you a college senior struggling to make the ends meet? A junior who’s not quite there yet? Perhaps, a sophomore who is somehow still very much confused about the whole charade?
Maybe a pureblood freshman trying to make sense of it all? Regardless of your standing in the college hierarchy, you’re going to need a tip or two from my book. Hey, I was a college student once, too!
THE DEAL: Just reading the word is exhausting you, I know. But while this is something I used to always skip whenever I had the chance, I don’t recommend you follow my route. Exercising will not only be beneficial to you for the now, but also to your future self.
THE 411: But why should you tire yourself in the name of exercising, you ask? Here are a few of its wonderful benefits that’ll help you swim your way through college in a breeze:
- RECUDES STRESS – That’s right! Exercising isn’t only helping you sweat the excess fat out of your system, you will also get rid of that additional thought bubble about the already anxiety-induced exam you have on Friday. And, you get to show up on your exam in banging skinnies, too. Win-win!
- IMPROVES MOOD – You might’ve dodged that McDonald’s burger earlier today, but there’s no stopping you from rocking that good mood. When doing exercises, your brain releases chemicals, such as endorphins, that affect your well-being. So, carry on, sport!
- BOOSTS BRAIN FUNCTION – Been forgetting a lot lately? Here’s a simple solution for you: physical activity! Don’t groan just yet, simple tasks you already do like riding your bike around campus—or a stationary one—will not only help with memory loss, but also the cognitive functions of the brain. Healthy body, healthy mind!
THE DEETS: You wanna start your health regime, but don’t know how or where to begin? Here are a few exercises for the beginner in all of us (bonus points if you already do most of these in your daily life):
- Bicycling (less than 10 MPH)
- Jogging (two to five rounds)
- Brisk Walking
- Ballroom Dancing
- Water Aerobics
- Doubles Tennis
Food and Nutrition
THE DEAL: Who doesn’t love getting down and dirty in the kitchen? The conventional way, of course! This will help you exercise better, and you get to down some healthy juices and tasty meals, who can say no to that?
THE 411: Strip the granny apron and get ready for some real action. Here are a few fun things apples can do, besides keeping the doctor away, that is:
- REGULATES WEIGHT: Eating healthy, coupled with regular exercise, helps fight the bad calories away. You, of course, have to maintain a healthy, balanced diet. Eating breakfast—a.k.a., the most important meal of the day—also helps combat your urge to run to fast food stores even before the clock strikes noon.
- BOOSTS ENERGY: That unhealthy feeling after eating too much out of bags and boxes will now be the least of your worries. You’ll also be ready to take on the day, and get some of that general cleaning done—which is, in its core, an exercise. So, tada!
- COMBATS DISEASES: A healthy lifestyle combined with regular physical exercise keeps your blood flowing smoothly, decreasing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. It helps prevent other health problems as well, including depression, diabetes, arthritis, metabolic syndrome, and certain types of cancer. A long, fit life, anyone?
THE DEETS: So, what should your next grocery list contain? Here are a few ideas to begin with:
- Whole Grains
- Lean Meat
- Low-Fat Dairy Products
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Shrimp, Sardines, Trout
- Brown Rice
- Dark Chocolate
THE DEAL: We all need our complete beauty rest cycle after a hard day’s work (or study, or both, or nothing! We just need sleep, okay?). Food and exercise alone can’t chug the wheels, you need this last bit to get the tires rolling. And it’s this bad guy right here.
THE 411: Sleep is for the weak. Not! Definitely not! Whoever created that myth just wasn’t cool enough to hop on the snooze train. Here are some cool facts that’ll help you realize sleep is just what you need:
- SPURS CREATIVITY: Yep, people strengthen the emotional components of a memory during sleep which might help you create your next masterpiece. So get your pen, paintbrush, paper, or even gadget out. You’re about to create something extraordinary! After you catch some bed bugs, though!
- IMPROVES PERFORMANCE: You may be an athlete, a dancer, a math wiz, the President, or even a fairy god mother, but you’re not exempted from sleeping! In fact, catching at least 8 hours every single night will improve your performance! If that doesn’t give you a reason to hit the sack right now, I don’t know what else will.
- INCREASES PRODUCTIVITY: It’s all about the outputs now and we know it. Sleeping triples productivity. This comes hand-in-hand with the first two benefits, so go on, invent the time machine when you’re not too busy flaunting your beautiful, glowing complexion after the best ten-hour nap of your life.
THE DEETS: Before you get too excited, here are a few more sleep-related reminders that’ll totally help you in the long run:
- Take a nap! If you have spare time during the day, don’t ask questions. Just do it! It works wonders.
- Stick to a schedule. You’ll thank me later.
- Don’t pull that all-nighter! Instead, sleep now and wake up early. You’d be surprised at how well that’d work for you, your project, and your body.
- Don’t work in your bed! Please, don’t do this to yourself. Your desk is for working, bed is for sleeping.
- Get a full night’s rest whenever possible. Again, you’ll thank me later. Just do it.